After the debacle that was Transportation Fail Day, we decided to give Viareggio another shot on Friday, September 11th. Using the tickets that we had purchased the previous weekend (you buy tickets, but they are valid for a specific route for a specified time period, not a certain date and time) we managed to successfully catch the train to Viareggio.Beach. Win.
Viareggio is a seaside resort on the western coast of Italy in the Tuscan riviera. Many of the beaches are not for public use; instead one must pay a lot of money to rent space and chairs from a "bathing establishment". There are only a few free beaches that are inconvenient to reach. Thankfully, the high season of tourism is coming to a close and the all of the beaches were relatively empty. We caught a bus from the train station (we can never figure out exactly which one to take - everyone tells you something different).
A few of the highlights of swimming and sunbathing in the Mediterranean Sea:
- Building sand castles
- Enjoying the beautiful scenery: mountains, beach and city all right there
- The clean, warm sea water
- Taking girly pictures like the title photo
- NOT having a transportation fail day!
- Old man getting naked and changing in front of everyone
- Old lady going topless
- All the men, young and old, wore speedos.
MacGyver'ed version of the card game "spoons" before resting up for Cinque Terre.